Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
#58600 17.06.2004 01:22
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hello!
Does anyone know what the coolant temp should be? I have an -89 mod (PT-engine) and it will not go higher than approx 70 degrees celsius, under normal cruising conditions.
Isn`t this a bit low? is it just the system (temp. signal giver, or gauge) that shows faulse?

Best regards
Per-Stian

Anonym
Unregistriert
Anonym
Unregistriert
I t would seem that many people have this question. My PT engined V8 does not have degrees on the guage just marks and it was running cool. I have recently changed the thermostat and it now appears to be running at a better temperature, just under half way round the gauge, and using slighty less fuel. But have a look at the cooling replies to a similar question in 2002, which is listed on page 7.

#58602 18.06.2004 07:05
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yeah, i`ve read it.

at cold outsidetemperatures it is 95-98 Grad
at hot outsidetemperatures it is 100-105 Grad

It reaches these temperatures while stand still. But not cruice! I`ve allso experienced the same as you. I changed the thermostat, because the temp rated below the 75 degree mark. With the new thermostat it resched a little bit above the 75 mark on the gauge. I`ve never tested how accurate the temp. indicating system is. But every V8 I get to see "in action" I find this "problem". I`ve imported a spare part car with a 4,2 (ABH) engine. And guess what - same on that one.
Come to think of it`, I`m not very impressed with the capasity of the cooling system. No other car I`ve had, or heard of, fluctuates from 70 to 100 degrees coolant temp. between cruise and stand still under normal system operations.

Anonym
Unregistriert
Anonym
Unregistriert
I use the following American site for fault location and if you search for coolant temperature guage there is a useful entry.

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com

I have found it very useful.

journeyman
journeyman
did u change the thermostat yourself? coz i want to know the steps and tools for replacing one.thanks

#58605 04.06.2010 08:23
stranger
stranger
Dear Sir i have a overheating problem with my audi V8 .i have done every thing that i know that can cause that problem , i change the water pump ,thermastat . i had a compression test on the engine done and i had the head gasket . the radiator is Ok , and the hose is Ok also . but the car is still overheating when it is being driven . when it is idleing it do not overheat . do you have any solution ?

Many Thanks Mr Kent

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Viscous fan clutch.
Testing: Shut down hot engine. Now the cooling fan must be pretty tight. If you can revolve the fan easily by hand, the viscous fan clutch is worn.

Beste Grüße
Tim
stranger
stranger
Thank you . I will buy a new fan if i cant get the cluch to buy Hopefull this will solve my problem .

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Check it first as described! And you don´t need the fan, you need the clutch where the fan is fitted on.

Beste Grüße
Tim
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Might be the same trouble. Check your viscous fan clutch. At hot engine it must be tight and at cold engine it must be easily turnable by your fingers. If you shut down the hot engine, the fan must stop revolving quickly. It must not rotate further, when the engine has quit running.
If it is easily turnable at hot engine, it is worn.
If it is tight at cold engine, it is also worn.
The thermostat might also be the cause of trouble - even if it is brand new. I very often had beef with cheap after market thermostats. As I need a thermostat, I only buy original spare parts or well known brand parts.

Beste Grüße
Tim
Ich schätze mal das hat er in den letzten 6 Jahren schon hin bekommen

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
ROFL, wie recht Du hast. Da wollte ich ein mal schnell sein...
Aber vielleicht hilft es ja inhaltlich anderen weiter.

Beste Grüße
Tim
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well I`ll take it in english since my german skills sucks...

I do not have an over heat temp issue. What I am wondering abut is if anyone has as low cooling temp as I do. (Yes thermostat is replaced, have the same low temp indicated on both 3,6 and 4,2)

In the case of a cooling fan that does not work it should be hot, but its rather to cold in my eyes. Anything below 90 degrees isn`t wery worm...

best regards from Norway

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi,
it´s nice to carry on this pretty old thread.

As your thermostat is working probably and the coolant temperature is still too low, the cause will be a worn viscous clutch of the cooling fan.The clutch is permanently tight and at cold engine the fan can not idle, even if the engine is working with high revolutions.
Testing: Cold engine: The fan must be turnable easily with just one finger. As you need much more power, a strength hand for example, the clutch is worn an must be replaced.

Beste Grüße
Tim

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert