Vorheriges Thema
Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have the information for the suspension alignment with standard springs, but are there any significant adjustments, or worse still, major problems when running lower/updated springs?

Of course, this is a 1990 V8.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Mark Hanman; 07.09.2015 01:29.

85 WR quattro
90 V8 Silver, 91 V8 Black, 93 V8 Lago
93 100e quattro V6. Titan, i think
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
All told me, it's no really need for other adjustments then the "king pin angle" (???), at the most it's not a lot clearance, so they adjust on block.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hmmm.... I'm not quite sure what that's referring to.

At the back, there is scope for quite a lot of adjustment, and especially getting the camber right.
At the front there is not a lot of scope for camber adjustment on the V8, as the top mounts are at full outboard position, and still with too much camber when loaded.
The bottom location is pretty well not adjustable, without making a completely new track arm, with the bottom ball joint moved inboard. Maybe that is what is referred to, but no such item exists. Maybe I could make some inner track arm mounts with an offset hole?
I think I shall revert to standard springs for a while.

85 WR quattro
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
If you don't have problems with steering and the tires don't run flat unsymmetrically, f*ck the adjustments if it's not realisable with original parts... you are just a bit to picky

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
No, it's obviously asymmetric wear.

85 WR quattro
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel

HOW MUCH low is it? just for ice? peppelstones kill your front bumper?

Normally there are no obviousnesses by 35mm lower. I mean, since years my tires run flat outside - not inside (I drive, not sleep by drive) , so there are really no problems with the camber in this way... the guys by the wheel alignment say all the same: it's not quite by rules, but no problem.

Gruess Roy

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Actual figures? I don't know. The coils came from one of the companies that advertise on audiv8.
I'm going to go back to standard springs and think again. What springs did you use, Roy?

85 WR quattro
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
R.I.P Eibach 35mm (broken)

Actually H&R 35mm I suppose.

Both didn't brought problems with the geometric measurements to me.

I think you use the one from Frank Ziehm? The speciality in his set are the rear-springs, they are some kind of "heavy duty", normal springs seems to be a bit to slack.

I don't know what, but something is strange with your car....

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've been wondering just that.

First, yes these springs are more aggressive. While the rear is nice, the front may be a little low. These springs say a -55mm, but given that others had been using them, there was nothing to worry me.

That said- i had some very serious doubts about the care of the car when it was with the body shop in 2012. 2 years prior, with no issues with the car at all, and then 3 months to scrap a set of tyres.
But I'd then been running these new tyres with even and predictable wear with standard spec suspension and budget front dampers, with no issues. Then I fit new springs, Koni dampers, and a full alignment with no issues.
I'm away for several months, car in storage, then MOTd, and while the tracking may have shifted slightly, not badly. All of a sudden, wedge tyre wear, in the same manner as the previous occasion in 2012.

I've got replacement suspension components to get powder coated to tidy up the rear. The HR are massively expensive here in the UK. equivalent to €450+ for 4 springs.
I'd rather have a little more travel, so for now it seems that back to standard springs are in order.

85 WR quattro
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm fitting H&R springs this weekend. I already have Koni Adjustable dampers fitted.

Although it's subjective, are there any suggestions for setting the Dampers, from folks with a Koni and H&R setup?

85 WR quattro
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well, this is irritating. The new H&R coils are too big. Outside diameter is too large, and the result is the springs interfere with the camber link on the rear hub.
Has anyone experienced this before?

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Do you mean that? : [Bild]http://www.audiv8.com/forum/download.php?Number=359939[/Bild] copy and paste.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Tim A.; 11.04.2016 12:25.

Beste Grüße
Tim
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
well, your link won't....link.

The cause of my problem is hamfistedness. Mine, largely. In my defence, the weather has been utter shite, even by UK standards. But it did highlight a small problem or two. The transverse link, and the bottom connection to one of the dampers is bent. (On the hub assembly)
The main issue being the transverse link that was replaced a little while back. The pin end is massive! So the new springs which are a fraction larger diameter than the KAWs were rubbing the link, just, because of the bottom damper location. Fixed now.

It's all back together now. Time to test drive...

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Beste Grüße
Tim
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm not entirely sure that I have yet. I'll let you know in a few days.

Orientation of the spring is critical, which doesn't immediately make sense. it still has to travel through the normal range of movement.
The head (pin end) of the right hand transverse link seems much larger than the left side. I can't remember where it was sourced from. It also appears to sit further up from the subframe than the other side.

I've run out of time now, so it'll be a week or two before i really know.

By then, I may well be into doing the full rear axle refurb with the spare set of components. I'm adding rear anti roll bar.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Mark Hanman; 12.04.2016 09:55.

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm afraid that my English is too poor.
I can't figure what "traverse link" means. Do you mean the wishbone between wheel bearing housing and the cross member?

Beste Grüße
Tim
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yes. the link that sets camber. (443505352P)The one in the image that you provided earlier. Between subframe (tapered pin) and upper connection to hub.
I didn't think of it as a wishbone as it doesn't look wishbone shaped.

Anyway. With the car back together, I'm liking the new springs a lot. The overall ride is so much better than with the KAWs. For what it's worth, the Koni dampers are set at 1 turn clockwise on the front, and 1.5 turns on the rear.
The front is slightly raised, so not as aggressive as before.

Unfortunately, the new front brake pads didn't arrive in time to give it a proper shakedown. So that will come next week.

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Okay now I'm in the know. I'm not so skilled in lowering suspension, my profession is self levelling suspension, but I guess by lowering you'd need to adjust the camber angle too. Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Beste Grüße
Tim
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The tyre wear problem with the KAW set up wasn't with the rear. There is sufficient range of adjustment in toe angle and camber. The issue with the rear springs coming into contact with the 'wishbone' isn't affected by camber, as we are dealing with the fixed end of the attachment points.

The heavy tyre wear was with the front end. The camber adjustment Was at its limit.
But I think something else had happened to the car while in storage which had affected the alignment just enough. There are a few other issues that suggest the car wasn't taken care of properly, but it's almost impossible to prove.

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I took the word "wishbone" from the catalogue. And even in German it is called "Querlenker". And from technical sight it is a real wishbone, an adjustable one but a wishbone.

I can hardly imagine, how the wishbone can come in touch with the spring. I don't have a car to take a look at but did you fit the outer joint to the rear side of the wheel bearing housing?

From the distance I have no idea for the front axle tyre wear. Fitting in a lowering suspension kit should not lead to excessive wear as long as all bushings and joints are in well condition .

Beste Grüße
Tim
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I hope I didn't get on your wrong side!
Could you solve the problem?

Beste Grüße
Tim
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yes, all done. The suspension is so much better. I may need to play with damper rates a little at the front, but otherwise, the H&R give a very nice ride.

I've not totally given up on the other springs, which will be mated to Bilstein B6 at some later date, for the black car.

As for the link/wishbone. It was never a problem with the standard springs which are a narrower O/D, or the other springs. But it was a very cheap eBay part, and you get what you pay for.

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Fine that you got rid of it.
In Antwort auf:

But it was a very cheap eBay part, and you get what you pay for.

That's it to a T.

Beste Grüße
Tim

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert