Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
#306553 23.12.2011 05:11
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1990 Audi V8 Quattro. What a fantastic vehicle! I have never driven a sedan that drives so well.

At one point I had a 911 for a few years – that was very fun to drive as well.

I'm sure I'll be looking around and asking questions about the V8.

Also, I used to speak German (learned in high school) but I am beyond rusty so I'll probably stick to English.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Welcome

Why for God's sake you have learned German?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome and a very merry Xmas!

Don't mind Roy . His name sounds English but he's Swiss and I think he's guessing that everybody all over the world ought to learn Swiss German.

Write in English, some guys here speaking suitable English.

Beste Grüße
Tim
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the welcome, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Maybe I will get brave enough to write some in German. I didn't want to be a person who "forgot" a language skill, but after years of non-use the ability declined.

Oh yes, also, I'm a woman. Am I the only woman on this forum? I cannot help that I am a car enthusiast!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Welcome to the displaced from everywhere!
Texan in Oregon?

My language skills are at best, attrocious.
I speak very little german, and all of it badly. I tried to follow some of the text in the german section, and I was lost after hello.
I speak a little more french, most of it badly, and embarrassing. Last used in anger in Dallas of all places, and now i'm here in Montreal.

Although after a week or two being in a place, listening, i can start to remember enough to understand what people are saying about me.

regards.
A Brit in french Canada.

85 WR quattro
90 V8 Silver, 91 V8 Black, 93 V8 Lago
93 100e quattro V6. Titan, i think
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Roy,

I learned German because I felt that it was important (and of course we must take a "foreign language" in the US school system). I was going to learn French as well, but when I got to college I didn't like the way they were teaching it, so I quit that class.

I thought Spanish was too easy to bother with – since Mexico was right next door it held no appeal for me. However, I can speak some "kitchen Spanish."

Einmal war ich in der Schweiz, und der Armee hat uns von unsere Hotel hinausgeworfen. Es war ein "scheduling problem" zwischen unsere Oberschule Gruppe und der Armee.

Ha, that wasn't so difficult ...

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Mark,

Yes, everyone goes everywhere, and it's just like Star Trek, as we speak into tiny devices and can even see others on them!

That's wild, that you had to use your French "in anger" in Dallas, Texas! Some guys asked me for directions one day, stopped at an intersection in Dallas, and they were from France. I have "map dyslexia" and couldn't tell them off the top of my head how to get where they wanted to go, so I lied to them and said I was from Houston. (Did you know that a sizable amount of French folks settled in Dallas in the 1840s?)

Thanks for the welcome ....

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We can understand what you mean to say- that's the really most important! But you should know one thing about the Swiss Army: Swiss hasn't got an Army, Swiss is an Army.

And after your coming out as a women, I guess you'll recognize increasing rapidly reply rates
But your not the only woman in this forum, but I guess the only non European.

Beste Grüße
Tim
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
"Swiss is an Army" –– I will remember that! Tim, I must say that some of these Swiss warriors did treat us to beer, fondue, and singing in the evening.

Also, it's nice to know that other women are interested in this fine motorcar as well. (When I was a member of a couple of U.S. Porsche sites, I found that it was over 99% menfolk.) In my view, one should know as much as possible about one's vehicle!

When I was growing up and I didn't understand certain automotive repair concepts, it ended up costing me $$$ and causing discomfort.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If the rules didn't change (Roy should know): Every male Swiss needs to go to the Army. After this time they keep their rifles at home to be prepared for defending the fatherland immediately.

As I've heard, it might be harmful loosing the bread in the Fondue - just another cause to have another drink.....

You're not alone. Not only women, even male drivers spend a lot of money for "repair concepts".

Beste Grüße
Tim
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
I'm Swiss? are you shure? my name isn't without a history

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
You're right... but the Army itself it's like a national costume group, not more...

next spring I will get my last "refresher" behind me... [censored] boring stuff

and the weapon, a SIG 550, I will let there, the reglements goes to stupid... and this just because some silly men mean it's funny to shoot others an then himself...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I didn't say that you are a natural born Swiss - but of course, I don't really know, I was just guessing.

Beste Grüße
Tim
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
In Antwort auf:

everybody all over the world ought to learn Swiss German

that's right

not really, but since the kids in the WHOLE scool MUST speak German (not just in "German-class" respectively writing/grammar - like myself in my early years) so they came at home and talk about "Kamin" and "Fliegenklatsche" insted of "Chämi" and "Flöigädätscher"... that's not really nice

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Roy, does this mean you cannot keep the rifle at your home any longer?

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
this ugly ArmyRifle I 'm able to take it at home, but I don't want it longer, every year some humanistic people try to forbid gun possession by politically ways... every wapon must be registered, some wapons must by special registered et cetera et cetera, I'm sad to be permanent on coal if I'm do legal or not... and when I take it at home after my last refresher, so I still must go to the obligatory (so we say to the obligated shooting day for armyrifleowners) and when I forgett to shoot at the obligatory so I must pay expiation. At least, I'm not really a rifleman, more a pistolman and so I only keep my SIG P220 at home

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi,

a warmly welcome from Austria! The V8 is a good choice and a future classic, keep it well maintained and you'll have a lot of fun!

Another good place for you to say hello may be the German Auto Connection (can be found on Google) as they sell a lot of spare parts for the V8 and the US Audi V8 mailing list (v8@audifans.com). Sincerely, it's way less comfortable than our forum here, but as you live in the US you'll run short of spare parts sooner or later and then it's good to have somebody "nearby" who can help you out.

Tell us a bit more about your V8 - is there any remarkable history about the car? Most V8 have a long story of owner and country (state) changes behind them and sometimes end up in or were sold to the oddest places. There are some running in Alaska and one is even located in Buenos Aires (!). Rumours say that there is one running on the caribbeans as well

I wish you a lot of fun and not too many problems with the car

Regards

Bastian

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Roy,

That is interesting. We have the same here – some folks trying to disarm the citizens. In essence, many laws are a violation of our Second Amendment to the Constitution, but they exist anyway.

By the way, I had a Sig P220 at one point. It was the first semi-auto pistol I bought for myself.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
well, i'd like more my gran'pa's P210... it's more precise

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi and a big welcome here in the V8 community,

my wife isn´t registered here, but nearly every time we meet in Altingen V8-Schmiede, she will come with me ans she drove a V8 by herself until i sold that bad car.
Now she drives two Audis; a 2,6 convertible and a 2,8 coupé

She loves those cars.

I by myself drive today a Chevy (P30 Workhorse) RV 32ft. Gulf Stream until saturday or sunday.

Then we have to go home because i have to go to work on monday.

Have fun here

Grüßle, Olaf - Marlboroman
Ford Focus 1,0 EB & Monaco Diplomat 38A & Cayenne S

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert