Vorheriges Thema
Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hope I can get some help. I just recently got a 1990 V8 Quattro.
This is where I'm at:

Car would not start. Replaced starter and installed new battery. Car started and seemd to run fine for 2 days. Did somewhat overheat one afternoon with a/c on. then seemd to be fine rest of the day. Next night got home and turned off ignition. Auxillary water pump started running. Sounded like it was running at high speed for several minutes and started to get some electrical burning smell. Tried to start the car, would not start. Just clicked like when the starter went bad. Smell got worse so disconnected battery to stop auxillary water pump. Now after some days: auxillary water pump starts running as soon as battery is connected and won't stop. Starter will not engage.

Can you help or point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi

Can you tell me what's a auxillary water pump is? the V8 has only ONE water pump, its powered from the steering belt... nothing electric...

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi,

I guess your battery worn out. Can you locate the sound, read: point us to the source? As Roy said: No Aux pump in the V8, IF you don't have an auxillery heating device. But this device is usually powered by a secondary battery in your compartment.

Regards

Bastian

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I did see a reference to the auxillary water pump on a forum. Trying to locate that info. I have received responses saying there is no aux water pump. The sound is coming from the engine area, louder towards the passenger side towards the back. Someone checke from under the car and said that there was no vibration from the starter but could feel vibration from the oil pan area. I just got the starter replaced and at first thought that it was the starter motor running without engaging.
Thanks

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi,

I strongly recommend you to join the www.audifans.com V8 mailing list. There a plenty of people from overseas (US) and the list is in English. You will get more response. But for now let's try to find the problem here

I could think for two things: Fuel pump (check the relais) and the vacuum pump for the door locks. I would recommend you to unplug fuse by fuse to find the culprit!

Regards

Bastian

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Fuel pump was checked. Will check for vaccum pump.

Thanks.

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi,

make life easier, check fuse by fuse.

Where are you from, by the way?

Regards

Bastian

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm in Irvine, California

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi,

Steve B. from the forum here (and also posting in the audifans.com maiing list) ist from San Jose, probably he can help locally. I bet others from the list are also from CA!

Good to see some V8s still rolling abroad! Great!

Regards

Bastian

journeyman
journeyman
Hi Chris, I'm in Long Beach - just passed through Irvine last Sunday

A friend of mine here is quite handy as a mechanic and he owns a V8 as well as an S4. Drop me a line and I'll try to hook you guys up.

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert