Howdy, I'm new!
So here's the situation

Specs:
1991 Audi V8 Quattro
Automatic tranny
3.6 Liter V8
140,000 Kms (maybe)

Symptoms:
-Steering has a lot of play on it. You can completely turn the steering wheel almost once in either direction before the front wheels even start to move.
-When you turn the steering it makes clunking sounds.

Possible cause:
I found a page on the web that talked about this exact problem being the steering rack assembly mounts being broken on the frame. The solution was to remove the steering rack, weld up and reinforce the frame, and put the rack back on.

Troubleshooting:
So I had a look at the steering rack from the engine compartment on my car, while I had someone move the steering wheel back and forth. The rack is visible if you look behind the engine, close to the firewall, where the steering column output comes out from.

Sure enough, the whole rack moves side to side - it shouldn't move at all.

Looking in from the drivers side front wheel well, I can see the metal part where the rack is supposed to attach to the frame of the car, it's completely broken off.

Solution:
I have a Miller 135 MIG welder and I'm thinking of just welding up the metal, and adding a plate on top to reinforce.
I'm going to try and do it without removing the rack, but we'll see. I don't want to damage it.

I'll try to post up some photos of the problem before and after I fix it (IF I can do it!).

HELP!:
I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem? Any tips you can give me before I try it? Are there any sensitive electronic components in that area that I should be aware of? I don't want to fry them with the MIG welder's Arc. I will be disconnecting and removing the car's battery.

If you have loose steering, you might want to check out your steering rack mounts!

thanks!

1991 Audi V8 Quattro 3.6L Automatic
Hello black Skorpion!
Please choose another Name- use no NICKS at AudiV8.com.

just have a look:
FAQ
FAQ2
FAQ3
FAQ4

FAQ5

king regards, Peter!

3,6l Bj. 89 184 kw fotos.web.de/peterlingkreibich

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert