Vorheriges Thema
Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
Chris K Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just picked up a 1991 V8Q 5-speed with transplanted 4.2 liter engine. There are 7 of them in the US.

I'd like to make it even more rare by putting in a 6-speed.

Does anyone know the transmission code for a 6-speed? Are there any in the US? Would any later model 6-speeds work ? S4? Allroad? A6 2.7T?

I bet the cost would be prohibitive, but I'm just curious.

1991 V8Q ABH/DQT/ABT - 1 in US 2008 Atomic Orange LS3 LT3 U3U MN6
addict
addict
Moin Chris,

the Transmission you are looking for has the code CBN. It´s pairing Differntial has the code AXZ.

To make your car even rarer you must do ........ nothing. The combination of 4,2ltr engine with 5-Speed gearbox ist the rarest possible (even though not original).

The only problem is durability, because the 5-speed gearbox can´t stand the torque of the 4,2ltr (and the 3,6ltr as well). This was the reason to change to the 6-speed gearbox.

From this point of view: change to 6-speed.

Tach, Berthold "Wer noch klagen kann hat noch nicht alles verloren"
Pooh-Bah
Online Content
Pooh-Bah
But if you don´t want drive some quarter mile races (or else)- keep it!

Beste Grüße
Tim
The "AWW" 5-speed gearbox used in the 1989-1991 manual transmission V8 models does hold up to the torque of the 3.6 engine pretty well, as it was reinforced (stronger gear wheels, wider synchronizing disks). So, if you have a factory 5-speed where just the engine was swapped - no need to do anything.
If your car is an aftermarket "auto-to-manual" conversion that utilizes a gearbox from the Type44 quattro (AOA, ADZ...) however, then you should indeed be careful about applying all that torque, as these transmissions are not really up tp the task of handling the torque of the 4.2 engine in the long run. It'll most problably be fine for a daily driver, but I`d refrain from using such a setup on the strip or at stoplight races...

Just bear in mind that there`s more to swap than the transmission itself, if you want to convert to a 6-speed. You'd need a driveshaft from a 6-speed model, rework the shift linkage and the mounting brackets (both requires custom welding) and use a wild mix from 5-and 6-speed sourced parts for flywheel and clutch.
6-speed V8s were never sold in the US - the manual trans models were dropped for 1992.
The transmissions from the 1992-1996 "C4" S4/S6 are mechanically identical to the CBM/CBN one used in the 1992-1994 euro-only manual V8s. You could use any of these instead (in fact, any transmission of the C** family would be useable, including the CBR from the RS2 that is the strongest of the lot).

stranger
stranger
Halllo everyone. I need help from German "fau" users. My friends from Russia, Moscow have prohect - they have good looking A200 body, and wrecked V8. So they already put 4.2 engine into A200 body and 6man gearbox from S6/4A. But they need two gearbox supports. As you know, these supports should be only from Audi V8 with 6man gearbox. New ones costs about 160 euros each.
And My request is - please tell me, is it possible to find out theese items in Germany but used, not new ? And, if it possible, can enybody send them to Estonia. Certainly paiment is guaranteed.

226034-Mar192008375.jpg (0 Bytes, 271 downloads)

Horse power needs at least ONE head!!!
stranger
stranger
So what, does anybody tell something?

At least, tell me please - is it possible to find used parts?

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Possible of course... but where?

stranger
stranger
Thank you for answering!
I repeat - need theese supports but used. But where from they will come - it is not important. I was looking for thees item in Russia, Estonia, Sweden for two months already. Can't find.
I have no ETKA, so can't find out does support from S6/4A 4.2 could use in Audi V8 or not. But i try to find S6 gearbox to see supports by myself and decide theese question.
Maybe somebody of V8 owners in Europe can help me in finding theese items - as i thaught.
If somebody knows exact location of wrecked V8 with 6man gearbox, please wtite contacts. And maybe somebody can waste his time to try finding theese items using his way - like i do for men from Moscow.
Because i don't have another way to find theese details - the last way now is THIS German Audi Club. A hope something will come.

stranger
stranger
Thank you! This time don't need help yet.

P.S. Didn't think that in central Europe people don't help each other. Sorry!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For 6-Speed Transmissionparts you can ask the Member
"Koal Clemens"
he is selling V8 parts, maybee he has some on stock.

But i have in mind he is not often here.
Take a look in "Ersatzteile und Autos" there yo can find his Mobile Number.

Gude Mario Audi 100 CD Autom. Bj.83 Audi 200 20v Bj.89 Audi 5000 Bj.85 Audi V8 3,6 Autom. Bj.88
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi Bastian (if I remember right),

nice to see some people from the V8Q list here.

I personally made bad experiences with ADZ transmissions even in the cars they originally came from (220V standard setup). Even though, most people claim that the transmission can be easily used up to 350HP and siginificantly more than 400Nm the 4,2 actually applies. I personally doubt that but that seems to be the common experience. Even most RS2-conversion with 320HP+ use the original gearbox instead of taking the original one from the RS2.

On the other hand it raises the question why Audi has enforded the gearbox for just 30NM+ the 3,6 V8 has compared to the 220TQ (309Nm).

Bastian

stranger
stranger
Hi. I think I'm too late. I have a genuine 6-speed manual V8.

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert