Vorheriges Thema
Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
#352378 20.03.2015 03:40
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm trying to diagnose the electric mirrors on my 1993 4.2 V8.

They are intermittent at best.
When they do function, it is generally just the left.

When adjusting in any direction, the motor runs for 1-2seconds, and stops. Full deflection adjustment requires many presses of the switch.
The right side rarely works, but exhibits the same problems when it does.

I have the actual audi wiring diagrams from earlier chassis numbers, and there is no resemblance whatsoever in the wiring. My guess is that there is a control unit for which I have no diagrams.

85 WR quattro
90 V8 Silver, 91 V8 Black, 93 V8 Lago
93 100e quattro V6. Titan, i think
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi Mark,

possibly just the mechanism is stuck causing the motor to turn off too early. First of all i would recommend to lubricate the slides on the outside of the window frame and most
important the one with the bowden-cable on the inside behind the door panel using silicon-spray. The grease on the inner one transforms to some kind of glue after some years.

If the window still moves in an exhausted kind of way, you can disassemble the housing containing motor and spool for the bowden cable in order to put fresh grease in. Be sure to have some zip ties at hand for reassembly, the housing needs to be temporarily fixed somehow with a "third hand"....

- Menschenskinder! 8 Zylinder!? -
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have to inform you that Audi didn't fit Bowden cables in my electric mirrors, but the windows work great!

there it is-

Electric mirror control module. Water damage. It's a great mounting location; behind the glovebox, on top of the air duct up against the bulkhead, and right below the fresh air flap into the the scuttle area. And right beside the servotronic module
There's a fair bit to dismantle to get to it. Some of which is good to do when replacing the aircon fan

85 WR quattro
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sorry, i kind of mixed up windows and mirrors...

You are possibly the first one who has ever had the pleasure to do this. But where the hell did the water come from? Gasket broken on windscreen or between aircon housings and bulkhead?

- Menschenskinder! 8 Zylinder!? -
Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hello.
My V8 also had a defect with this control device for mirror Memory.
Cause was that while disinfecting the air-conditioning too much liquid about the air circulation flap ran out and dripped exactly onto the lying underneath control device.
The control of the mirror was not possible any more controlled.
The workshop had to renew the control device for 150 euros on his costs.

Gruß Manfred M.

V8 fahren ist wie älter werden - gelegentliche Inkontinenz
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
There are several causes for the water ingress.
The three main issues are-

Windscreen repairs.
This car has had a very poor repair in the past, resulting in a fair amount of rust. I haven't had the windscreen out, yet, to see how bad, but I am sure there is perforation, and certainly the integrity of the bonding has been compromised. The windscreen feels loose along the lower edge, where water can collect in the gutter.

Leaves.
In the scuttle area, the collection of leaves over time has built up, blocking the drainage. Water was able to build up significantly. It really is worth taking the plastic cover off, and making sure that the drain is cleared. A long plastic rod, or something similar can be used. The drain goes under the aircon components, and drains out somewhere near the transmission tunnel.

Alarm installations
This car had a dealer fit alarm early in its life. It was installed so badly, with holes cut into the rubber boots of the ECU loom.
Water damage has also killed the motronic ecu. I had a spare, fortunately. the original ecu wasn't firing injectors, and some diagnostics weren't functioning.

Several of the control boxes, and even the relay panel under the carpet, are actually in areas where water can be a factor due to bad windscreen fitting.

So far, I've replaced-
Motronic

Fixed-
Mirror module
Windows module
Seat controller
Central locking pump

Still to do- aircon blower

This is all on my Lago 4.2, for which I am running a sort of restoration thread.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Mark Hanman; 26.03.2015 07:37.

85 WR quattro

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert