Nächstes Thema
Thema drucken
Thema bewerten
#326897 22.11.2012 09:03
munir b Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Can any one tell me the step wise removal of starter. I think some teeth on gear has broken, either starter or flywheel..

Carpal \'Tunnel
Carpal \'Tunnel
Hi Munir,

just a hint: It's is rather uncommon that the flywheel brakes, neither the pin nor the teeth (it can happen, though). Have you checked the sensors already?

What's the problem? Can't you start the engine?

Bastian

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
...can you point out what is actually happening, when you try to start the car?

E.g. scraping noise and engine not turning (could be the magnetic switch on the starter) or what is happening precisely?

Just to check, that no tooth is broken from the flywheel, you could lift the car up, look through the small gap between engine and gearbox from below, and slightly turn the engine using a ratchet to turn the crankshaft manually.

Regards,

Flo

- Menschenskinder! 8 Zylinder!? -
munir b Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
car was starting ok but i noticed since couple of months that sometimes the ignition switch used to stuck and i had to return it to on position and that time i heard grinding noise from starter due to slipping of its teeth with flywheel (My mistake, I could ve used few puffs of WD40).About a month back when I turned the key there was a sound of rotating starter but no movement of engine. I took the car on flat bed to a garage and electrician told me that starter is electrically ok but teeth not engaging and it could be broken teeth on either starter or fly wheel. since flywheel is stronger than starter, so most likely it would be starter. Secondly when starter will be taken down, one can see the teeth of flywheel. Unfortunately, removal of starter is a bit difficult on this car, especially the upper bolt. My mechanic says that engine has to be removed and I am insisting that starter can be removed without talking the engine out.Today I took the car to another garage of moroccan mechanic who claims to have more experience of fixing Audis.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
allright then obviously this has to do with the magnetic switch in the starter. one bolt can be reached by heading towards the frontside with a very long extension, about a meter long from the back end of the gearbox. the other bolt is removed way easier. once the bolts are removed i guess you also have to remove the oil filter. then you can take the starter out. good luck!

- Menschenskinder! 8 Zylinder!? -
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi Munir,
I even don't believe in a cracked fly wheel cog and also assume a faulty starter. Possibly the starter cog wheel is damaged due to being stuck in the fly wheel cog.
Removing the starter motor is a bit tricky.
Instead of a long (1 Meter) extension also a couple of shorter wrench extensions are useful. A cardan joint and a long(!) 10mm Allen-bit are required to remove the upper bolt. Some guys also undo (but not remove!) the two rear aggregate-carrier bolts to lowering the back of the engine to ease meshing of Allen-key and bolt.
As far as I remember the oil filter needs to be dismantled.
Good luck!

Beste Grüße
Tim
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Some pictures to remove the starter... Klick

In diesem Sinne Gruß Bernd
munir b Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi Tim,
I hope things ll not be difficult and now I also have the repair manual in English (thanks to Bastien). Flo was telling me that it may be mere magnetic switch at fault and if he is right then, will gentle tapping on the starter may dislodge carbon particles inside the switch and it may start working?
I found two pictures from the manual which are related to removal of the starter......27-451 and 10-1068. I will get cardan joint. Can you tell me about the two rear aggregate-carrier bolts and which picture from the manual you may refer me for these?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You have got mail

Beste Grüße
Tim
munir b Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Successfully removed and found completely burnt brushes of starter, It wasn't giving enough torque to rotate the flywheel. All teeth OK on flywheel. Now search for a starter is on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you have the opportunity, get the starter refurbished. In the UK, approximately £80~£100 will give electrical components such as brushes, mechanical components such as bearings, and overall a clean tidy starter motor.

85 WR quattro
90 V8 Silver, 91 V8 Black, 93 V8 Lago
93 100e quattro V6. Titan, i think

Moderiert von  Manfred H., Manfred M., Thorsten D 

Link in Zwischenablage kopiert