I have too many cars and my 1990 V-8 Quattro was sitting for about 4 months. When I went to start it the battery was low and i jumped it and it idled smoothy. At about 2000 rpm the engine misfires and acts as though it has a bad wire or plugs. I have taken it to a local European Auto repair shop and they claim that after 8 hours they determined it has 2 broken teeth on the flywheel. Will this allow it to run smooth at low rpm? Florin Man had a post on 11/2/03 and he had the same problem and ended up finding out it was the transmission-how could the transmission make it misfire? Replacing the flywheel is so expensive the shop recommends not fixing it and salvaging the car. Could there be a simpler solution?
Transmission Removal and Reinstallation is an 11 hr job... At $70 an hr, it adds up quick and that’s just to get the transmission out and back in...
The fuel Pressure Regulator (a $50 part) can fail and leak fuel down into the cylinders when the car sits (for 4 months, 4 days, etc). You go to crank it and one or more cylinders are full of liquid... This strips one or more teeth on the flywheel. The RPM sensor counts teeth on the flywheel and uses this info to calculate the RPMs of the engine.
If this is your culprit, pull the codes and make sure you are getting 2111 (with the vehicle running) to validate what the mechanic is telling you.
Jeremy, thanks for the info. I took it to another Audi mechanic who has 2 of his own and it was a effort for him, also. He replaced the flywheel-which had 2 broken teeth and it was better but not fixed! Then he reread all of the sensors and I guess the cam sensor only reads one of the two cams. He had the ability to measure the second cam and it had jumped a tooth or so on the timing belt-yikes. Someone had been in it previously and didn't tension the belt properly and it was on its way to interference. They are not done yet but I feel it will be fixed. I wanted you and others to know what could cause this so I hope it helps. Gregg C