I have test driven a S8 (1992 V8 4.2) I have noticed a few possible problems, Could some one out there please advise me. The problems are thus:- 1) The engines smokes on idle when hot. There is no smoke when cold and when driving, only on idle. The owner is telling me that the car has stood still for the last 6 months and that he had the cambelts and ALL 32 valves replaced 8 months ago. 2) No matter what the tempreture or speed the oil pressure gauge is sat at 5bar and just over. Could this be a faulty gauge or something more sinister? 3)The brake pedal has excessive travel. The owner told me that ALL pads were changed 8 months ago and the system bleed correctly.
The guy was asking €6000 for this car. I have offered €4000 which he has accepted. Is this car worth the €4000 with the above faults.
5bar of oil pressure is normal on this car. After it warms up, it will drop to about 2 bar sitting at a stop light; the rest of the time it sits at around 5. The only reason to be concerned on this car is *lack* of oil pressure.
Not sure about the brake pedal travel. Most likely it is the "bomb" that needs to be rebuilt. Its job is to maintain brake pressure. There is a membrane in there that is prone to failure, but can be rebuilt by someone who is familiar with the process. Not sure who to recommend on the other side of the pond.
Also, not sure how much V8s sell for in Europe, but my recommendation is pay a little extra for one in great shape (I wish I had; would have cost me less in the long run.)
Hope that helps,
- Jeremy
1990 V8Q Zyclam
Portland, Oregon (USA)
http://www.MyV8Q.com/
Fun, Fun, Fun auf der Autobahn