I'm using a lot of concepts/ideas from working on my Ur, as the basic ideas are the same. (it's just the number of cylinders that's different)
So please, correct me if I'm wrong in any of this-

The fuel pump I expect to be controlled through the ECU. If the ECU is not getting a signal that the engine is running, the fuel pump will not be activated.

The ECU knows the engine is running from the sensors on the flywheel. One sensor provides tooth count from the flywheel. The other sensor provides a trigger point for the count, using a timing pin on the flywheel.
In ur circles in the UK, there have been a number of occasions when the 'timing pin' has been damaged, either from poor starter motor replacement methods. In some cases, the pins have seemingly 'fallen out'. It does not matter. No pin= no timing trigger= no start. It's the same effect as having a bad sensor.
The tooth count can actually work quite well, even with several teeth damaged, so long as the timing pin is present.
The fuel system will normally maintain a fairly good level of fuel pressure. I did think that the pump was briefly run when the ignition is turned on. A common trait of poor fuel pressure in the system extended cranking before it starts.

A test of the fuel system would simply be done by supplying 12v directly to the pump, bypassing all the controls. This is probably what is refered to by Fuse 17/remote control.
The alternative is access to the fuel pump electrical connections which are under a circular plate in the boot(trunk, for colonials). This access plate is under the black carpet, on the ridge immediately behind the rear seat. About where the 'ski hatch' is. The plate is held in with screws. So you need to pull up the piece of carpet that is stuck down. The connections for the fuel level are also there.
If the fuel pipes are disconnected at the engine, then this is a good time to check not just that the pump runs, but also delivers enough fuel. So put the pipes into a petrol container, and run the pump. If the pump runs, then check delivery. Pumps always deliver significantly more fuel than is required. A good pump in a k-jet injection system delivers in excess of 900ml in 30 seconds, if I remember correctly. I would use this as a benchmark unless anyone knows of any other figure.

If the fuel pump was making any noise (loud buzzing, etc,), then fuel pump failure could be a possibility.

As I said- all of this is open to correction.

85 WR quattro
90 V8 Silver, 91 V8 Black, 93 V8 Lago
93 100e quattro V6. Titan, i think